Bord na Móna, is a semi-state company in Ireland, created in 1946 by the Turf Development Act 1946. The company began developing the peatlands of Ireland with the aim to provide economic benefit for Irish Midland communities and achieve security of energy supply for the recently formed Irish Republic. Bord na Móna is an iconic Irish company operating four business units – Powergen Development, Resource Recovery, Energy and New Business.
The Client brief was to design, supply, install and commission a multi-operator telecommunications mast to be utilised as part of the National Broadband Plan, comprising a 45 meter heavy duty lattice structure, a fenced compound catering for 6no. cabinets, fibre chambers, power ducting, access, turning area and all associated works.
Tender scope of work was to “design & install a telecommunications mast to replace an existing telecommunications mast at Cloncreen Bog, to include foundations, auxiliary provisions required, fencing and security arrangements. The mast should be designed to house 4No. Mobile and broadband service providers, 2No. Providers are in place on the existing mast and will be transferred.”
4site was initially appointed as Planning Supervisor Design Process and lead Designer to support the planning application which was subsequently granted by Offaly County Council.
The site is located at Ballykilleen, Edenderry, Co. Offaly;
4site won the competitive public tender and was selected by BNM Powergen to provide the solution including the construction of the new reinforced concrete tower foundation and a fenced compound complete with associated fibre and power ducting.
4site provided an all-encompassing service including
- PSDP and PSCS (aka. Principle Designer and Contractor)
- Site Survey
- Detailed Design
- RC Foundation Design
- Clearing of site including temporary site security & welfare facilities
- Design and installation of 8m x 8m x 1.5m tower base c/w 500mm lean mix
- Design and construction of Operator plinths for outdoor equipment
- Design, supply and installation of a 4 x way MMU (multi meter unit)
- Design and installation of lightning protection and earthing system
- Supply and installation of 2.4m high galvanised palisade fencing and access gates
- Form hardstanding area for crane setup and lift
- Crane hire and lift plan
- Design, supply and delivery of 45m 4 x Operator tower including antenna interface steelwork, anti-climb, ladder, rest platforms and mounting support poles
- Supply of fall arrest system (Latchways)
- Assembly and erection of lattice tower c/w safe to climb cert.
- Provision of as-built site layout drawing in AutoCAD format
- Power management and coordination for mains connection
- Supervision, management and certification
The site was constructed during the Covid-19 restrictions having been granted “essential worker” status and access was tightly controlled by BNM Powergen throughout. The site was successfully completed on budget and on time to the complete satisfaction of the end Customer.